June 9, 2010

Assorted interestings

I've always loved the Google "Did you mean?" (favorite is recursion), but this one came up recently while helping my sister with some definitions:



---

There are some words that people invoke to give false credence to ideas. The most obvious case is God; if you mention him/her, you can convince people of pretty much anything.

In non-God cases, it's normally an abstract term we use as shorthand but don't have a solid, working definition for. I've written about Art being a stupid word, and today I read an interesting blog post adds 'neuroplasticity' to the list.

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHAHAHAH.

    Also about using God, agreed, some things are just abused. I hate when it's used to OK homophobia and judging people. Although I find myself doing using the G word too sometimes. :) Like when I can't explain something or can't figure out how to make myself look at the better side of things...

    Meh I don't know :)

    ReplyDelete